Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I love the fall


Last weekend, Jessica, Joel, Leah, Reagan, Alice and I went up to Sky Top Orchard to go apple picking. We had such a great time, even though there were no apples to pick (there was a bad frost last spring and most orchards in the southeast lost everything). It was a perfect fall day: chilly, blue skies, crisp! We wandered around the orchard taking pictures of the sheep and goats and just enjoyed being with each other. I know I say it all the time, but my sisters are my favorite people in the world! I only wish that Anna and Cate could have been there with us! Alice and I rode together because Jess and Joel had to meet up with a friend and Leah and Reagan were going to a bed and breakfast for Leah's birthday (go Reagan! good present!).
Al and I are pretty close lately I think because we are the only two single sisters here in Greenville (we miss you, Cate!). It is going to be strange in a couple of months if we both go away for school - everything will just be completely different. I had an aunt recently tell me that women live many lives, and I think that's true. I can tell that I'm on the brink of a different life right now. I can look back and see myself in high school or early college and feel like those were different lives than I'm living now. So Alice and I are going to be living different lives one year from now than we are right now, and it is exciting! I love not knowing what to expect from the future, but being able to rest that I have a heavenly father who loves me and wants the best for me.
I know I didn't write a whole lot about it, but my trip up to D.C. was a really important growing time for me. At times I felt empowered and stronger than ever, and at other times I felt like I have no idea who I am or where I'm going in life or what I want to do or be. I found myself succumbing to a very superficial mentality of worrying about what other people think of me and how good/bad my fashion is and how little/much I've traveled, etc. Then I came home and saw something that reminded me of everything I've been through in my life and brought me back to the reality that these little things that I want to try to impress people with (travel, education, how I look), while they have their place and I want them in my life, are not ever going to be what makes me me, or makes me important, or makes me special, or makes me a person who knows how to live and love other people. I want to be others-focused, and while on my trip I think I became very self-conscious and self-focused, worrying about whether I have what it takes to live in a city like this and find friends among the successful people around me.
I have two months left of being in this place in life. I want to enjoy the moments leading up to change!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks Jen for the update--I loved reading about your trip! What did you see when you came home? An

7:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG_Have you moved to D.C.?? I decided to google you since I still have Einstein's Dreams but no longer have your address. Also, I quit myspace a while ago. Anyway, just curious about how you're livin'. Send me an e-mail at kemi.mail@gmail.com when you get a chance. I'd love to hear from you. : )

7:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home